Friday, November 8, 2013

Black Hair Care & Obesity? Naturalista voices her opinion

According to the US Department of Health and Human Services,  4 out of 5 women in the United States are overweight or obese [1]. 4 out of 5! We can do our history, and look at how this came to be. Many factors come into play. Geographic location, economic status, society, and so on. But what about black hair care? Is there a strong correlation between the two? I spoke with a Naturalista (a woman who practices natural hair care). Click below to read her views on this topic as well as her personal tips for black hair care!

Say hello to Keshia!
Fitgirl Jess: How many times do you wash your hair a week with your exercise regimen? Do you  conditioner wash between workouts or shampoo wash?
Keshia: I wash my hair weekly with my exercise regimen, which is 3-4 times a week and consist of strength training, yoga and cardio. I usually do not co-wash between my workouts unless I deemed it necessary which is usually with my regular conditioner.

FGJ: Do you feel like you have struggled with exercise because of your hair?
K: To be honest, I don't feel like I have struggled with exercise because of my hair. I usually wear my hair in its natural state in twist outs, braid outs or in a protective style..senegelase twist, buns, goddess braids. If I decide to blow out my hair which is about every 6 months or so, I make sure I wear a headband so my edges don't get sweated out. 

FGJ: Do you feel like eating healthier and exercising has helped your hair become healthier?
K: I do believe that eating healthier and exercising has helped my hair to become healthier. I take Fish oil, multivitamin, vitamin c and, probiotics every morning with my breakast which usually consists of a smoothie (veggies/fruits/ whey protein, flax seed) and all natural oatmeal from Trader Joe's. During the day, I try my best to snack on healthy snacks and I also include some type of dark leafy greens in my lunch and/or dinner, which are packed with essential vitamins that aid in hair growth. As far as exercising, I read in an article that it helps to stimulate the scalp which increases hair growth.

FGJ: Do you think it's an oxymoron when you hear or read allegedly that black women do not want to exercise to sweat their hair.. when exercising will probably help the hair?
K: I truly believe it is an oxymoron that black women don't want to exercise to sweat their hair when exercising helps with hair growth. There are many benefits associated with exercising such as relieving stress, anxiety, depression and other medical conditions which can all lead to hair loss.

FGJ: Do you think the statistic that 4 out of 5 overweight and/or obese black women in the United States is linked to black hair care ?
K: I don't believe that this is the number one factor but I do believe that it plays a role in the increase obsesity in African American women.


Keshia is a 20 something year old city girl living in Washington DC. She received her Bachelors degree at Suffolk University in Boston Mass. She then went on and received her Masters in Paralegal Studies at reputable George Washington University in the nation's capitol. When Keshia isn't in the books, she is a contributing member at her local church. She enjoys yoga and pilates as her staple exercise. She has been a naturalista for a few years and enjoys learning and trying new things with black hair care everyday. Click this link to read tips from Keshia on black hair care.






[1] The United States Department of Health and Human Services. http://womenshealth.gov/minority-health/african-americans/obesity.html. (2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment